Sony’s new compact DSLR, the Alpha NEX-5 with 18-55mm Lens…
The NEX-5 has all picture quality of a DSLR, yet it’s about half the size, half the weight and far less complex. Pulling off this minor miracle took some clever innovations in glass, silicon and software.
Sony Alpha NEX-5 DSLR Overview
Sony Alpha NEX-5 DSLR Financed
Bigger Sensor, Better Pictures
In technical terms, the APS-C image sensor is 13 times the size of the typical sensor3. In human terms, you’ll be taking photographs, not snapshots. The bigger sensor means softer backgrounds, for more attractive portraits. You’ll see better into the dark after sunset, and all your pictures will benefit from 14.2 megapixel resolution.
World’s Smallest and Lightest
Small and Light
The NEX-5 delivers the quality of a DSLR in a camera that’s ready to go wherever you go. In fact, this is the world’s smallest, lightest interchangeable lens digital camera (as of April 2010). It’s roughly half the size and weight of Sony’s smallest, lightest DSLR, the α230.
The Creativity of Changing Lenses
The beauty of SLR photography is the ability to change lenses to match your shooting situation. Now Sony brings that beauty to a compact camera. The NEX-5 gives you a choice of dedicated E-mount lenses, plus a choice of 28 A-mount lenses via an adaptor, sold separately.
Expect More from a Camera
Sony has always recognized that a digital camera could take pictures in ways that film cameras never dreamed of. That’s why we’ve created new capabilities to take your photography further than ever. These include Sweep Panorama, Auto HDR, Handheld Twilight and Anti Motion Blur modes.
High Def, Not Half Def
Many cameras take HD movies, but not so many offer the same Full HD 1080-line resolution as most broadcast HD networks. And very few have the same 60i frame rate for fluid, natural motion. In fact, this is the world’s first interchangeable lens digital still camera with 1080/60i HD movies.
Sophistication Made Simple
Some cameras bristle with knobs, buttons and dials. The NEX-5 replaces them with a simple turn-and-click Control Wheel and a pair of Soft Keys. These give you easy access to the full power of digital photography. To make learning even easier, Sony includes an On-Screen Help Guide and On-Screen Tips.
- Smallest in class – This is the world’s smallest interchangeable lens digital still camera (as of April 2010). We removed the conventional mirror box, AF sensor and viewfinder, reducing the “flange back” distance from 44.5 mm to 18 mm. The result has all the quality of an α DSLR, but is 48% smaller and 49% lighter than our α230.
- First in class with 1080/60i movies – This is the world’s first interchangeable lens still camera with 1080/60i AVCHD Full HD, exactly the same resolution and frame rate as most broadcast and cable HDTV channels. Records in 1080/60i AVCHD format, 1080/30p high definition in PC-friendly MP4 format and standard definition 480/30p in MP4 format.
- ISO 12800 sensitivity – Incredibly clear low-light pictures without sacrificing detail. As of April 2010, this is best-in-class performance, made possible by low-noise Exmor APS HD CMOS image sensor and refined BIONZ image processor.
- Anti Motion Blur mode – Corrects for subject movement to capture amazingly clean and sharp images in low light. The camera leverages the large, APS-C image sensor and captures six images in a fraction of a second. Combining the data from all six creates a single image that minimizes subject blur.
Live View LCD
- Live View LCD – The LCD monitor is active full-time for composing shots. Provides a what-you-see-is-what-you-get preview of white balance, focus, depth of field, exposure and 100% framing accuracy, plus informative on-screen displays.
- Fast Auto Focus – Some cameras in this class are slow to focus. That can make you miss the shot on fast-moving subjects like sports and unpredictable subjects like pets and babies. Sony’s fast Contrast Auto Focus system typically takes just 0.3 seconds. Also offers continuous Auto Focus when shooting movies.
- On-screen Help Guide – Provides ready reference, explains the camera’s modes and settings. Walks you through camera operation so you get the best shot. Helps you advance from basic operation to greater sophistication.
- Sony Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor – Conventional image sensors use only a handful of analog-to-digital (A/D) converters, which can slow you down. The NEX-5 Exmor sensor provides 4,592 column-parallel A/D converters. You get fast response, superb image clarity.
Accepts A-Mount DSLR Lense
- Accepts α DSLR A-mount lenses – Using the LA-EA1 adaptor (sold separately), you can attach the full selection of α A-mount system lenses, which includes 28 current models and an installed base of millions of lenses worldwide. Operational restrictions apply.
- Manual Focus Assist – Greatly magnifies the viewfinder image when you touch the focus ring, making it easy to get razor-sharp images. Works with E-mount lenses only.
- Accepts image stabilized lenses – Selected E-mount lenses incorporate Optical SteadyShot image stabilization to combat the effects of camera shake. Building stabilization into the lenses enables the camera body to be remarkably thin and light.
- Smile Shutter technology – Captures a smile the moment it happens. Simply select the Smile Shutter™ mode and the camera takes the picture automatically. You can prioritize children or adults and adjust the smile sensitivity.
- Six Creative Style settings – Control how the camera processes your images with six finishing styles: Standard, Vivid, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset and B&W. You can even fine-tune contrast, saturation, and sharpness to your personal taste.
- Up to 300 Shots of battery life – Take up to 300 shots on a single charge with Sony lithium ion Stamina battery power. Sony’s InfoLITHIUM battery system enables you to see the percent of power remaining, so you can keep shooting in confidence.
- PhotoTV HD compatibility – Optimizes compatible BRAVIA televisions for gorgeous display of digital pictures.
- Remote capability – Works with the optional RMT-DSLR1 Remote Commander wireless remote control.
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Financed
- Interchangeable lenses – Compatible with Sony’s E-mount series of smaller, lighter lenses designed specifically for α compact interchangeable lens cameras. Opens up a world of creative options.
- 14.2 megapixel resolution – You get incredible detail and gorgeous enlargements. Thanks to the APS-C sensor size and Sony Exmor APS HD CMOS technology, the camera achieves high resolution with no penalty in low-light sensitivity or sensor noise.
- Sweep Panorama – Capture expansive landscapes automatically. Press the shutter, sweep vertically or horizontally. The camera does the rest, continuously shooting images and stitching them together. Up to 23 MP image size. Up to 202 degrees maximum sweep angle (16mm focal length).
- Hand-held Twilight Mode – Corrects for subject movement to capture amazingly clean and sharp images in low light. The camera leverages the large, APS-C image sensor and captures six images in a fraction of a second. Combining the data from all six creates a single image that minimizes subject blur.
- Tiltable 3” LCD screen – Empowers your photography with a different point or view. Tilts down 45° and up 80° to frame high- and low-angle shots that would otherwise be hit-or-miss.
- Intelligent Auto Focus – Pre-focuses as you compose the shot, further reducing focusing time to a bare minimum.
- On-screen Shooting Tips – Offers expert advice so you can shoot like a pro.
- BIONZ image processor – The brains of the camera is a refined version of Sony’s BIONZ image processor. Its chroma noise reduction delivers high-resolution, low-noise photos even at ISO 12800 sensitivity. Also enables fast processing for up to 7 fps continuous shooting of data-intensive 14.2 megapixel images. Sweep Panorama and 6 image layering.
Alpha NEX-5 Compact DSLR
- 25-point Auto Focus – 25 sensors cover a very wide area of the scene, for accurate focusing even when the subject is far from the center of the frame.
- RAW image capture – The NEX-5 saves your pictures as compact JPEG files or ultra-high quality RAW files. RAW files save images prior to de-mosaicing, white balance, sharpness and color enhancement. This retains maximum latitude for enhancing the image on your PC.
- Powerful supplied software – To help you refine and manage your images, the camera is equipped with computer software including Image Data Converter SR, Image Data Lightbox SR and Picture Motion Browser (PMB).
- HDMI output for HD viewing – Enjoy HD movies and stunning still images on a compatible HDTV. The camera includes an HDMI output.8 In addition, the BRAVIA Sync system works with compatible Sony BRAVIA HDTVs enabling you to control camera playback using the television’s remote.
- P/A/S/M operating modes – The NEX-5 offers a full range of controls from the beginner’s iAUTO mode to P/A/S/M: Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and Manual. On-screen prompts help you refine your skills, build your confidence and exercise greater creative control.
- Supplied detachable flash – To help you shoot more effectively in formal portraits, the supplied flash has a Guide Number of.
- Index and Slide Show Display – Quickly review your photos using 6- or 12-frame index views, or as an automatic slide show with fade-in/fade-out effect.
- APS-C size HD image sensor – The same sensor format that Sony builds into the full-sized α DSLRs. With 13 times the area of the typical3 image sensor, APS-C makes the difference between “snapshots” and “photographs,” delivering an exceptional combination of high resolution, high sensitivity and gorgeous, blurred backgrounds.
- Up to 7 frames per second – You get incredible detail and gorgeous enlargements. Thanks to the APS-C sensor size and Sony Exmor™ APS HD CMOS technology, the camera achieves high resolution with no penalty in low-light sensitivity or sensor noise.
- 3D Panorama – Captures scenic vistas in spectacular 3D. As you sweep across the panorama, the camera records separate right-eye and left-eye images that make landscapes come alive on your 3D television.
- Auto HDR built into camera – High Dynamic Range (HDR) photography captures more scene contrast than a single exposure can handle by combining the best highlight detail from one shot and the best shadow detail from another for one incredible shot. Until recently, you needed a computer and editing software. Sony builds HDR in. Handles severe backlighting and other high-contrast scenes. Captures in a split second. (Recommended for still subjects.)
- 920K pixel TruBlack LCD screen – Sony’s Xtra Fine LCD monitor has best-in-class resolution (as of April 2010). The TruBlack screen includes a special resin layer to suppress internal reflections, increase contrast compared to conventional LCDs. Sunny Weather mode boosts visibility even further in bright sunlight.
920K Pixel TruBlack LCD Screen
- iAUTO (Intelligent Auto) mode – Unifies and simplifies Sony intelligent technologies. Takes advantage of Intelligent Scene Recognition, Face Detection technology, and Optical SteadyShot image stabilization without leaving auto mode so you always get the best shot.
Control Wheel + Soft Keys – Unlike cameras that bristle with knobs, buttons and dials, the NEX-5 features a simple turn-and-click Control Wheel and context-sensitive Soft Keys. It’s elegant, uncluttered and intuitive.
- Dynamic Range Optimizer (DRO) – Dynamic Range Optimizer improves results with backlit subjects and recovers details hidden in shadows. Settings include Auto, Level with a choice of five operating levels and Off.
- Multi-segment measuring – Optimizes exposure based on 49 segments. Choice of Multi, Center and Spot metering accommodates a full range of shooting situations.
- “Background Defocus” control – Cameras with APS-C sensors take beautiful pictures because they can blur the background. That helps make your subject stand out as the center of attention in portrait photography. But you’ve had to know about aperture f-stops and shutter speeds. Now Sony makes it easy. Simply turn the Control Wheel one way for backgrounds in focus, the other for background defocus.
- Face Detection technology – The camera can automatically detect up to eight individual faces and adjust focus, exposure, white balance and flash to help deliver crisp, properly lit images of family and friends. Can prioritize children or adults.
- Eight Scene Selection Modes – These help you get the shot by optimizing the camera for specific shooting situations. Select from Portrait, Sports, Macro, Landscape, Sunset, Night View, Night Portrait and Hand-held Night Shot modes.
- Anti-Dust Technology – Anti-Dust Technology helps keep the CMOS sensor clean, resulting in consistently clear pictures. First a static-free coating on the sensor’s low-pass filter helps repel dust. Then vibration automatically dislodges dust from the sensor.
- Dual Media Slots – For cost-effective, convenient storage and sharing of your images, the camera accepts Memory Stick PRO Duo/Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo and SD/SDHC media (Class 4 or higher recommended). (Memory card is required. All are sold separately.)
- Ultra-light Magnesium alloy fascia – The camera combines high strength with low weight, thanks to the Magnesium alloy front fascia.